Barry Greenberg - Managing Partner
Barry C. Greenberg, a founder and the Managing Partner of RMG, also serves as the chairperson of the firm’s real estate department. He is widely recognized for his experience in all phases of the real estate development process. Barry has, for over 35 years, adeptly counseled his clients in all aspects of real estate projects, including contract negotiations, financing, construction, leasing, land use, and entity structuring and organization.
Barry’s real estate clients include land developers and builders, as well as developers of multi-family, retail, industrial, office and mixed use projects. In addition, Barry represents major national and regional banks and institutional lenders in connection with real estate acquisition, construction, permanent and other commercial and asset-based loans. Utilizing his practical knowledge and insights into the applicable statutes and local practice, Barry is regularly consulted by local and national counsel with respect to navigating complicated issues related to Maryland transfer and recordation tax issues. Barry’s well-rounded experience allows him to strategically assess industry trends in advising his clients, with a thorough understanding of the various perspectives involved in a deal.
Barry is a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, a prestigious recognition for his unparalleled knowledge and legal acumen within the industry. In addition, he has been ranked for exceptional standing in the area of Real Estate Law in Chambers USA in each edition since 2006. In his profile in Chambers, Barry is described as "a problem solver who takes a prudent and practical approach to any issue." Barry has also been selected for inclusion in rankings such as Maryland Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and other regional publications for his superior experience in the real estate and lending industries.
- Representation of master developer of major planned community in Baltimore-Washington corridor spanning more than 20 years, including:
- Negotiation of numerous lot purchase agreements with national and regional homebuilders for sale of in excess of 1,300 finished building lots,
- Negotiation of retail leases and modifications covering in excess of 200,000 square feet
- Management of lease enforcement actions
- Negotiation of office leases
- Negotiation of joint venture with office and office park developer for development and management of office buildings that exceed 1,500,000 square feet in the aggregate.
- Representation of developer of residential component of major planned community in Baltimore-Washington corridor in connection with joint venture with land owner for residentially entitled land permitting in excess of 1,000 building lots, and negotiation of finished lot purchase agreements with national and regional builders.
- Representation of land developer in connection with acquisition of unimproved and unentitled property, conducting title reviews and negotiation of lot purchase agreements for finished and unfinished lots.
- Representation of developer in two-phase urban multi-family project, including negotiating joint venture agreement with land owner who contributed land to the project, coordinating all real estate aspects of financing (which included utilizing Federal historic tax credits) and construction financing and ultimate refinancing with Federal agency.
- Representation of developer in numerous suburban multi-family projects, including negotiating land purchase agreements and land declarations and easements, construction, and permanent financing.
- Representation of multi-family developer in connection with the sale of portfolio properties.
- Representation of national homebuilder in connection with negotiation of contracts to acquire finished lots, partially finished lots and raw land.
- Representation of developer in its acquisition of vacant suburban office building of 250,000 square feet, and subsequent negotiation of acquisition and construction financing and leasing to governmental and private tenants.
- Representation of regional developer and operator of storage facilities, including negotiation of financing arrangements, ongoing business and operational issues. Recent transaction included refinancing of multiple unit portfolio in multiple states and several counties in Maryland and other jurisdictions, which included allocations of recordation taxes among jurisdictions and negotiations with various County law departments.
- Representation of lead lender/agent in connection with a series of syndicated credit facilities to an owner and operator of gas service/convenience store portfolio.
- Representation of lead lender/agent in connection with syndicated facility for construction of entertainment/hotel facilities by national developer of entertainment venues.
- Representation of construction lender in connection with suburban mixed-use project, including multi-family buildings, retail and office buildings, located on ground-leased parcels.
- Representation of national permanent lender in connection with refinance of suburban office building portfolio.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D. (Honors) (1984)
- Haverford College, B.A. (1979)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
The Latest from the Knowledge Center...
Now Accepting Applications: Rosenberg Martin Greenberg Opens 2022 Application Process for Second Cohort in its Building Black-Owned Business in Baltimore Program
On July 1st, Rosenberg Martin Greenberg (RMG) began accepting submissions for its second cohort in the Building Black-Owned Business in Baltimore Program (the “BBOBB Program”). Black business owners in the Baltimore Metro Area are encouraged to apply in order to receive complimentary legal services for one year. From the applicant pool, five businesses will be…
Twenty Rosenberg Martin Greenberg Lawyers Honored by Maryland Super Lawyers® in 2022
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is proud to announce that twenty of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 edition of Maryland Super Lawyers®. The firm’s attorneys who have been selected include Benjamin Rosenberg, Gerard Martin, Barry Greenberg, Gerard Gaeng, Andrew Baida, Louis Ebert, William Hallam, David Wyand, Caroline Hecker, Charles Curlett, Jr., Steven…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP Ranked in 22 Practice Areas in 2022 “Best Law Firms” List
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP is pleased to announce that the firm has been ranked in the 2022U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list nationally in 4 practice areas and regionally in 18 practice areas. Firms included in the 2022 “Best Law Firms” list are recognized for professional excellence with persistently impressive ratings from…
Caroline L. Hecker Named First Woman and Non-Founder to Serve As Managing Partner of Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP is pleased to announce that Caroline L. Hecker has been elected as the firm’s next Managing Partner. Caroline will assume the role effective January 3, 2022, becoming the third Managing Partner in the firm’s 34-year history and the first woman and non-founding member to hold the position. “Caroline is an extremely…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg Welcomes Four New Attorneys
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is pleased to announce the addition of Bryan K. Saxton, Brooke A. Hutchins, Drew E. Tildon, and Thérian (Jung Yong) Lee. Barry Greenberg, RMG’s Managing Partner and head of the Firm’s real estate practice group, said: “Our new attorneys add additional depth to multiple practice groups within the firm and are eager to work…
Seventeen Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Baltimore Best Lawyers in America in 2022
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP is proud to announce that 17 of its attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers® in America 2022 List, to be featured in U.S. News & World Report. Best Lawyers® is a respected peer-review publication in the legal profession which has been published for over…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP Welcomes Seven New Attorneys During Pandemic of 2020-21
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is pleased to announce the addition of our “COVID class” of seven new attorneys to the firm during the past 12 months. We would like to welcome Christina “Chrissy” Bolmarcich, Brett F. Baldino, Jeffrey S. Greenberg, Gabrielle D. Shirley, Jessica L. Duvall, Robert M. Berman and M. Ari Storch. Barry Greenberg, RMG’s Managing Partner and head of the Firm’s real…
Nineteen Rosenberg Martin Greenberg Lawyers Honored by Maryland Super Lawyers® in 2021
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is proud to announce that nineteen of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2021 edition of Maryland Super Lawyers®. The firm’s attorneys who have been selected include Benjamin Rosenberg, Gerard Martin, Barry Greenberg, Gerard Gaeng, Andrew Baida, Louis Ebert, William Hallam, David Wyand, Caroline Hecker, Charles Curlett, Jr., and…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP Ranked in 25 Practice Areas in 2021 “Best Law Firms” List
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP is pleased to announce that the firm has been ranked in the 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list nationally in 6 practice areas and regionally in 19 practice areas. Firms included in the 2021 “Best Law Firms” list are recognized for professional excellence with persistently impressive ratings…
Consumer Lending Laws May Be A Trap For Even The Wary
It is no surprise to anyone involved in consumer lending that laws designed to protect consumers from inception of the loan relationship through collection of the loan following default vary greatly from state to state and even by loan type within a state. Not staying on top of these variations can get even an experienced…