Gerard Gaeng - Partner
As a partner in the firm's Litigation Group and member of the Financial Services Group, Gerry Gaeng has handled successfully some of the region's largest and most complex litigation matters, in state and federal trial and appellate courts. He concentrates in complex business and government litigation, including class-action defense, financial services litigation, administrative law, higher education law, and real estate and construction litigation. A former federal judicial law clerk, Maryland Assistant Attorney General, and counsel to a congressionally created commission that investigated the nation's savings and loan crisis of the 1980's, Gerry has been recognized in a short list of Maryland's "local litigation stars" in every annual edition of Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, where clients have praised him for "astounding results" and described him as "simply the best." Similarly, he has been listed in every edition of Maryland Super Lawyers and in the 2011-2018 editions of Best Lawyers in America, which named him Baltimore's 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Banking and Finance.
- Successfully defended federal-court consumer class action against large automotive dealership group alleging violation of state law governing automobile financing.
- Tried arbitration case for Fortune 500 company seeking damages against coal producer under a commodity supply contract; resulted in mid-trial favorable settlement.
- Obtained an order compelling individual arbitration of a claim of a named plaintiff in a putative class action against a financial services company.
- Recovered substantial funds for a vendor of commercial real estate when a developer defaulted on the purchase agreement.
- Was lead counsel on amici curiae brief filed on behalf of financial services companies before Maryland's highest court; resulted in affirmance of judgment that defendant mortgage assignee was not liable for statutory lending violation committed by loan originator.
- Successfully defended before a jury claims brought against a developer and home builder by residents of a community alleging underground water problems.
- Successfully defended in federal trial and appellate courts consolidated class-action cases brought against purchasers of mortgage loans under state and federal mortgage lending statutes.
- Drafted complex legislation for professional association and for a governmental entity; both bills were enacted into law.
- Recovered substantial liquidated damages for a totalizator company in federal trial court for breach of contract by the operator of a racetrack in West Virginia.
- Successfully defended claims asserted under a host of state and federal statutes, including:
- The Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- The Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
- The Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act (HOEPA)
- The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA)
- The Maryland Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- The Maryland Consumer Protection Act (MCPA)
- The Maryland Secondary Mortgage Loan Law (SMLL)
- The Maryland Retail Installment Sales Act (RISA)
- The Maryland Credit Grantor Closed End Credit Provisions (CLEC)
- The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- The Maryland Telephone Consumer Protection Act (MTCPA)
- The Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act (MCDCA)
- Emory University School of Law, J.D. (with honors) (1984)
- Towson University, B.S. (summa cum laude) (1981)
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
The Latest from the Knowledge Center...
Now Accepting Applications: Rosenberg Martin Greenberg Opens 2022 Application Process for Second Cohort in its Building Black-Owned Business in Baltimore Program
On July 1st, Rosenberg Martin Greenberg (RMG) began accepting submissions for its second cohort in the Building Black-Owned Business in Baltimore Program (the “BBOBB Program”). Black business owners in the Baltimore Metro Area are encouraged to apply in order to receive complimentary legal services for one year. From the applicant pool, five businesses will be…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is proud to announce that twenty of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2022 edition of Maryland Super Lawyers®. The firm’s attorneys who have been selected include Benjamin Rosenberg, Gerard Martin, Barry Greenberg, Gerard Gaeng, Andrew Baida, Louis Ebert, William Hallam, David Wyand, Caroline Hecker, Charles Curlett, Jr., Steven…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP is pleased to announce that the firm has been ranked in the 2022U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list nationally in 4 practice areas and regionally in 18 practice areas. Firms included in the 2022 “Best Law Firms” list are recognized for professional excellence with persistently impressive ratings from…
Caroline L. Hecker Named First Woman and Non-Founder to Serve As Managing Partner of Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP is pleased to announce that Caroline L. Hecker has been elected as the firm’s next Managing Partner. Caroline will assume the role effective January 3, 2022, becoming the third Managing Partner in the firm’s 34-year history and the first woman and non-founding member to hold the position. “Caroline is an extremely…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is pleased to announce the addition of Bryan K. Saxton, Brooke A. Hutchins, Drew E. Tildon, and Thérian (Jung Yong) Lee. Barry Greenberg, RMG’s Managing Partner and head of the Firm’s real estate practice group, said: “Our new attorneys add additional depth to multiple practice groups within the firm and are eager to work…
Seventeen Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Baltimore Best Lawyers in America in 2022
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP is proud to announce that 17 of its attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers® in America 2022 List, to be featured in U.S. News & World Report. Best Lawyers® is a respected peer-review publication in the legal profession which has been published for over…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is pleased to announce the addition of our “COVID class” of seven new attorneys to the firm during the past 12 months. We would like to welcome Christina “Chrissy” Bolmarcich, Brett F. Baldino, Jeffrey S. Greenberg, Gabrielle D. Shirley, Jessica L. Duvall, Robert M. Berman and M. Ari Storch. Barry Greenberg, RMG’s Managing Partner and head of the Firm’s real…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg is proud to announce that nineteen of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2021 edition of Maryland Super Lawyers®. The firm’s attorneys who have been selected include Benjamin Rosenberg, Gerard Martin, Barry Greenberg, Gerard Gaeng, Andrew Baida, Louis Ebert, William Hallam, David Wyand, Caroline Hecker, Charles Curlett, Jr., and…
Rosenberg Martin Greenberg LLP is pleased to announce that the firm has been ranked in the 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list nationally in 6 practice areas and regionally in 19 practice areas. Firms included in the 2021 “Best Law Firms” list are recognized for professional excellence with persistently impressive ratings…
It is no surprise to anyone involved in consumer lending that laws designed to protect consumers from inception of the loan relationship through collection of the loan following default vary greatly from state to state and even by loan type within a state. Not staying on top of these variations can get even an experienced…